In 2014, I started a collaborative project called YOUR STORY. It’s exactly what it sounds like–it’s your stories, straight from your own hearts. It reflects the belief that life is truly the greatest adventure, and we are all the heroes of our own lives. Everyone has strength and courage and hope. I want to hear those stories. I want to celebrate that strength. I want you to see just how remarkable you are.
This is your opportunity to share your story, to put it somewhere where it will be recognized for its worth and importance. Everyone has different experiences, everyone has different struggles, but it takes courage to live, to endure difficult times, to pursue happiness.
This is your story. This is your strength.
- You can tell your story however you think is best (fiction or memoir are both accepted)
- You can use any style (e.g. humorous vs. heartfelt, essay vs. poetry)
- Wordcount is flexible (the longest story was 3000 words, the shortest was 150)
- Keep the language rated PG, please and thank you
- This story 100% belongs to you forever
- My only rights are to post it on my blog, tweak some formatting, and run a spellcheck
- You can post it anywhere you’d like without crediting me
- You can ask me to take it down at any point in time if you change your mind
- I’m accepting submissions from now till March 1st
- You can submit your story by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- it can be an attachment or pasted in the email itself
- You can have it published anonymously or under your preferred name
- you can also give me links to your blog/social media to include with the post
- Please include links/files for any videos and pictures you want to include
- You will have a chance to approve the post before it goes live
- I’ll also send you a link in an email telling you when it’s posted
There’s no theme for this story. Any experience of strength or weakness, courage or fear, happiness or despair are welcome. It’s up to you what you’d like to share, it’s up to you which moments are important, and there’s really no right or wrong topic for your story. I’m not looking for a polished masterpiece, I just want you to share something honest and meaningful.
I do ask that you keep the subject matter more or less PG, just because of the nature of my blog. If you have any concerns, feel free to send me an email and we can talk about it. I want you to be able to share your story in the best way possible.
If you’d like some inspiration, I’d encourage you to read the previous story entries. Or if you’d like to try writing to a specific theme, I’d challenge you to write about hope. This past year has been difficult for lots of people, but the darkest times are when hope is most important. Let your story be a beacon cutting through the darkness.
I hope that I can share lots of stories in the next couple months and celebrate the incredible strength and spirit of ordinary heroes. Whether you consider yourself remarkable or not, your life is truly an adventure worth sharing.
You are all wonderful. Never forget it.